Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Bout of Books 10 Wrap-Up

For Bout of Books 10, my goal was to read three books and get a substantial portion of Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin done.

I bought Vicious by V.E. Schwab, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, and Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson specifically for this week.  In-between reading these, I read my Life Application Study Bible, NKJV.

I started off with Speak as a warm-up read, which I finished in about two hours spread between days 1 and 2.  I didn’t enjoy it, per say, because the subject content it tackles is not easy or entertaining.  That being said, it is an important book that does a great job exploring a very difficult reality.  

I thought that the main character’s journey through the healing process was beautifully experienced.  From the shame and denial to the eventual realization that she is a victim of a crime that doesn’t have to define her life was powerful.  

After that, I read Vicious over a three-day span.  You can find my review of it here.

Since I finished Vicious early in the morning on the fourth day, I went right into Miss Peregrine’sand read that in one, 4-hour sitting.  My review of that is here.

On day 5, having finished my TBR, I still didn’t feel like picking up A Clash of Kings.  So, I reread For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf, by Ntozake Shange.  Since I was 18, this has been one of my favorite works of literature.  It tackles really important feminist issues that are universal.

I didn’t read anything on the sixth day because I was so busy.  Shame shame shame.  And on the last day, the only reading I was able to get in was in order to prepare my history lesson for homeschooling the next day.  

All in all, I read 4 whole books and 1,114 pages and got in almost 18 hours of reading.  Given my schedule, this was pretty good for me.  

I also participated in a few challenges and quite a few Twitter chats with people about books we were reading.  I really enjoyed this week, and I can’t wait until August.


No comments:

Post a Comment