Thursday, August 14, 2014

Bout of Books 11 Goals and Progress Spreadsheet

Bout of Books 11 commences in 3 days!  I'm so excited for it!

When it comes to reading and read-a-thons, goal planning is difficult for me.  By that I mean that I find it a challenge to be realistic about what I will be able to achieve.  I often think that I have more time than I actually do and, therefore, fail to meet the quota I set for myself.

This upcoming week is going to be especially unpredictable because I am flying to Hawaii on the 23rd, so I'm not sure how much reading will get done the last few days of the read-a-thon.  I expect to get a good amount done on the plane, but after I land I may be insanely busy.

With that in mind, I am setting these goals without any sense of urgency.  I will not stress myself out while I am supposed to be on vacation/at a conference.  This will be a very laid back Bout of Books for this reader.

The TBR pile I've put together for myself is varied (to keep me from getting antsy) and is mostly composed of books I need to finish.

Books or series I would like to finish are:

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles vol. 10-28 by C.L.A.M.P.
Old New York by Edith Wharton
These are the Generations by Eric Foley
The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Books I'd like to start and finish include:

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse (a reread)
Demian by Herman Hesse
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling (also a reread)
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Of course, there is no way I'm going to finish all of these.  If you know anything about my TBR list policy, you know that I like to make a short list of books to choose from, but I'm not strict about it by any means.

In order to keep track of my reading progress, I have made a spreadsheet.  It's divided by days, and it tabulates pages read, books finished, and hours spent reading.  If you would like to use it, you can download it from my Dropbox.


If you are participating in this Bout of Books, please tell me what your goals are and what books you'll be reading in the comments below!

Have a great reading week!



8 comments:

  1. I'm in the exact same boat as you - I'm flying to Spain on the 24th so between work and packing, who knows how much time I'll have. But I hope we'll both be able to squeeze a few hours' of reading in.

    I've been meaning to re-read the Harry Potter series for a while - I might do that during the Christmas holidays this year, actually.

    And I love the spreadsheet! Talk about being organised ;) Good luck with your goals and hope you enjoy all your books!

    Here's what I'll be reading next week
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left a comment on your post. I love your blog layout, btw!

      Delete
  2. Nice spreadsheet! I might use as it looks very convenient :). Hope you are having fun with HP, always a magical journey :). Have fun with reading and in Hawaii, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that your readathon is wonderful.

      Delete
  3. YAAAAASSS! SPREADSHEET! I made my own and I'm glad I'm not the only one who's considering them fun and not work. Nerds unite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the spreadsheet. Going to try to use it to help with my reading progress for all readathons :)

    Ashley
    Books Buying Beauty
    @Bookz4Nerdz

    ReplyDelete