Thursday, July 2, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Chapter Headings

To learn more about Top 5 Wednesday, check out the Goodreads group.
This week's Top 5 Wednesday topic is favorite chapter headings, which is quite difficult for me as I don't pay excess attention to them.  Moreover, many of the books I read merely number the chapters.  In light of this, my list is made up of chapter headings I liked from the books I've read most recently.


Number Five


"Castles in the Air" from Little Women

The idiom "castles in the air/sky" is a favorite of mine, so of course I loved this chapter, which had the March sisters and Laurie sharing their dreams for the future.  

Number Four


"Veni Vidi Vici" from Ender's Game

Latin for "I Came; I Saw; I Conquered," Card assigned this one so well.  Ender's Dragon Army destroys every other army in the battle room, fighting battle after battle for a week.  Not only does he prove himself the most adept commander, but he also shows that he can outmaneuver even the Battle School instructors. 

Number Three


"The Boy Who Lived" from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

This is a chapter name I will never forget.  It is mostly on this list because of sentimentality, but it was also an attention-grabber and a moniker for Harry.  This simple yet iconic title is cemented in literary history.

Number Two


"Where There is a Will to Condemn, There is Evidence" from Wild Swans

What a horrible truth is captured in this header.  Generally, it describes human bias, but specifically it perfectly describes the corrupt government system of Maoist China.  Chang's parents were falsely accused of being enemies of the state, publicly humiliated, and tortured.  In a generally upsetting book, this chapter is particularly difficult. 

Number One 


"Is a Very Short One, and May Appear of no Great Importance in its Place, but it Should be Read Notwithstanding, as a Sequel to the Last, and as a Key to One that Will Follow When its Time Arrives" from Oliver Twist

This one is quite a mouthful, but I love it. I like all of Dicken's headings from Oliver Twist because he offers his own commentary through them. I've never read any other Dickens novel, so I don't know if this is his usual style, but I've never seen it otherwise, and I was well entertained by it.

Those are my top five chapter headings. What are your favorites? Tell me in the comments below.

Check out my Unpopular Opinions Book Tag post here.

Connect with me via Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment