Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Characters You Wish You Could Drown

To learn more about Top 5 Wednesday, check out the Goodreads group
This week's topic is hilarious. We all know those characters who are beyond frustrating. They make you so angry that you just want to hold their nonexistent heads under water.

These are mine. 

Number Five


The Other Mother from Coraline

Her place on this list is not because I hate her but because she is unbelievably creepy. However, I have cause to doubt that even drowning would fail to get rid of her. 

Number Four 


Bella Swan from the Twilight Saga

I know that it's easy to hate on Twilight, but I had to include Bella on this list because of the huge influence she had on the YA genre as a whole. After her came a slew of weak female protagonists who only care about their boyfriends. Not only is she a horrible role model, but she is annoying in print and on screen. Bye bye, Bella. 

Number Three 


Percy Weasley from The Harry Potter Series

Obviously, Dolores Umbridge is the queen of this list. However, I decided to go for a less obvious choice and discuss another of my least favorite characters from the series. Percy is a self-important, blindingly ambitious, willfully ignorant man who turns his back on his own family for position. Though he comes around in the end, his belated repentance is not enough to change my opinion of him. I wouldn't necessarily drown him, but I would hold his head under water until he came to his senses. 

Number Two


Percy Wetmore from The Green Mile

This man is a true sadist and takes his evil desires out on the inmates of Cold Mountain Penitentiary. Yet, he's a coward who has to use his uncle's influence to gain anything in life. What makes me mad about him is that he's just as bad as the criminals he guards, yet he walks free. 

Number One


Humbert Humbert from Lolita

Humbert Humbert is perhaps my least favorite character ever. He is absolutely disgusting, and just reading about him made me feel polluted. 

Those are the top 5 characters I wish I could drown. Who made your list? Share in the comments below. 

To see my last book review of Brandon Sanderson's The Rithmatist, click here

Also, find me on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

7 comments:

  1. YES! Another Bella death. I agree with everything you said about her. And for good measure, I threw Edward in with her on my list. A friend and I would have endless debates at lunch when these books were popular about how awful the relationship between the two was. In fact, I knew if I mentioned it was a Domestic Violence case in the making I was in for a rant! (We both worked in that field at the time.) Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you drown one, the other won't know how to live anymore, so it's a packaged deal.

      Delete
  2. You picked a very interesting group of characters for your list, and I must say that I was quite shocked to see Bella here! Sure, she can be annoying, but I didn't think anyone could hate her that much! Maybe I'm a little biased because I absolutely adore Twilight and will do for a very long time, but wow I'm just a little shocked, haha!!

    I would definitely drown the Other Mother too. She is just so freaking creepy! Interesting choice with Percy Weasley, though. I hardly think of him as an important character anymore because I was so heartbroken by his decision to leave his family. Not sure if I'd have the passion to drown him, because it's been such a long time.

    Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bella made many people's lists, even those who love the series. I think the whole life ending over a boy attitude she had during the second book soured many to her.

      I usually don't think of Percy, but I am rereading the series, so he's more fresh in my memory.

      Delete
  3. YES, Bella, Percy and Percy Wetmore. I'd totally forgotten about both Percy's until I read your list!

    I can't stand Percy Wetmore, he is a character with 0 redeeming features.

    Bella came very, very close to making my list. I just can't stand her catatonic state after Edward leaves and the way she treats people throughout the series.

    Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was tempted to put Humbert Humbert on my list but I found characters I hated more! I hate the way that Humbert tries to make it seem like a forbidden love story and it was Lolita's fault, when clearly he is just a vile human.
    I enjoyed your list and agreed with almost all of them!
    If you want to read mine: http://bensawyerbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Humbert is revolting. He turns Lolita into an object, not even using her real name. I always hate pedophiles in literature, but he's the worst.

      Delete