Thursday, September 11, 2014

Top 5 Wednesday: Series I Won't Finish

I have a love/hate relationship with series.  Personally, I think the market is oversaturated with them, especially trilogies.  Stories that could make a great duology get stretched into three books (and four movies) just to make a profit.

And while there are some excellent series out there, a series does not great literature make.  For every Song of Ice and Fire series, there are a handful that aren't worth finishing.  So, let's get into the series that I've started and will never finish.

Fifth place...


The Ender Saga by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game is one of my favorite books of all time.  So, you would think I would be eager to read the rest of the series, right?  However, the first novel was so amazing that it makes my standard impossibly high.  That, coupled with the fact that the other books got less than raving reviews, makes me want to just enjoy the novel as a stand-alone.  However, I may read the books one day out of curiosity, and that is why this is so low on my list.

Fourth place...




The Little Women Series by Louisa May Alcott

I really enjoy Little Women, the book and movies, but I honestly have no interest in what takes place after that book.  Therefore, I won't be picking up the others.

Third place...




The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

I liked Divergent, but I didn't love it enough to go through two more books and a novella.  Plus, I already know the huge plot point that happens in Allegiant, so...eh.  I don't want to waste my time reading mediocre series.

Second place...




The Vicious Series by V.E. Schwab

I didn't hate Vicious, but it didn't impress me either.  It would have been an ok stand-alone, but then came the completely foreseeable plot turn that led into a second book.  I honestly can't imagine what else could happen to the characters that I want to know about.

First place...


The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld

I will NEVER finish this series.  I hated the first book so much that I didn't even finish it.  There are just so many things wrong with the plot and writing, and I can't stand the main character.  So no thank you!

So those are my Top 5 Wednesday picks.  Which series will you never finish?  Tell me in the comments below.

And if you want to join in on Top 5 Wednesdays, just check out the Goodreads Group.

Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment