Monday, September 22, 2014

What I've Been Doing Instead of Blogging

This is the post where I make a bunch of excuses as to why I've been so blog negligent.  Enjoy!

But seriously, I haven't been posting regularly for awhile, and even though this isn't book-related, I thought I'd explain why.

I am a stay-at-home wife, which most people think means unboundaried reading time.  And, during the summer, that's exactly what it meant.  Besides taking care of the home, cooking, and running errands, I didn't have much on my schedule during the week days because mostly everyone else in my life works.  Therefore, I was able to read and blog from the time I woke up until my husband came home with breaks for responsible things like cleaning and eating.

Towards the end of August, however, I visited the States for a week, and immediately upon returning, my daily schedule completely changed because school started.

I homeschool a 4th grader and a 7th grader three days a week, which completely fills up my morning and afternoon.  And my evenings are then spent doing all the home things I used to do throughout the day and spending time with my husband.  Because I have to wake up earlier (and because teaching is tiring) I no longer stay awake as long as I used to, so that also cuts down on my reading time.

Honestly, on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, which are the days I homeschool, I usually only read about four chapters in my Bible and maybe a chapter in one of the books I'm reading right now.  I just don't have the time or energy for anything else.

On Mondays and Fridays, I'm running errands all day, so I also don't get to read very much on those days.  And weekends are spent with family.

Additionally, I've spend all of August preparing for a women's retreat that is coming up in the first week of October, so all the time that I would devote to reading is being concentrated on event prep.

So, I have done very very little reading this month.  When you see my September wrap-up, you will shake your head at my lack of progress.  And no reading means no blogging.

One book-related thing that I have been doing this month is leading a book club discussion on Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse, over in the Goodreads' group Classics Without All the Class.  Even though September is drawing to a close, it's a short book, so you can still join us if you want!

After October, I should have more time to read, and therefore more content to blog about.

I am sorry that I haven't been blogging as much, but I'm also not going to stress about it.  Sometimes life changes, and we have to reorder our priorities.  And that is ok with me.  I do this for fun, so I'm not going to push myself until the enjoyable aspect of it turns compulsory.

I just wanted to update you all and let you know what I'm up to.

How is your reading going?  Has school or just life upset your reading schedule?  Empathize with me in the comments below.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment