Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Books I'd Save in a Fire

This week's Top 5 Wednesday topic is the top books I would save in a fire.

Unlike most Top 5 lists, this one took very little thought as I know which books in my collection are the most important to me.  Though it would kill me to loose the rest of my library, these few are irreplaceable.


Number Five


On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Jack Kerouac was all that I wanted to be when I was a teenager, and On the Road was my map.  For one of my birthdays, a dear friend bought me this 40th anniversary edition, and it's been a treasure on my shelves ever since.

Number Four


The Roald Dahl Treasury

When I turned nine, I requested this treasury for my birthday.  I adored Roald Dahl as a child, and I still do even as I close in on thirty years old.  I have read this collection countless times, and I plan to read it to my children, as well.

Number Three


My current Bible

If you've ever had to replace a Bible you've had for a long time, you know how much can be lost.  Highlights, notes, quotes, a lot of a person's spiritual life can be catalogued in its pages.  Additionally, I have written dates next to certain passages that God used to confirm things to me, such as joining women's leadership or heading up the children's ministry.  This Bible is actually fairly new, but I would be sad to lose these dates.

Number Two


My Original Harry Potter Books

The earliest of my Harry Potter books are in shambles.  They've been read so many times that pages are falling apart.  The spines are cracked.  The leaves are yellowed.  Yet, they are precious to me because they've gone with me throughout my entire childhood.  I read the first book when I was eleven and had the last one delivered to my university dorm when I was twenty.  They've moved with me from my childhood home to university to my first apartment in Los Angeles to San Diego and then across the world to Guam.  

I plan on buying a new set with new covers, but I will never get rid of these ones because they hold too many memories.

Number One


My Journals


This is most likely cheating, but as they sit on my book shelves, I am counting them.  I have been journaling since I was ten, and I have almost two-thirds of my life documented.  Nothing could ever replace these, so if I could only grab one set of books to save, it would be these.  

Those are the books I would make sure to grab in a fire.  What would you save?  Tell me in the comments below.  And if you want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday meme, check out the Goodreads group.

Also, find me on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love Roald Dahl! Great choice! Also I love Jack Kerouac too but I've only read Dharma Bums, I need to give this a read too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read Dharma Bums, but it's on my shelf. I hope to read it this year, as well as reread On the Road.

      Delete