Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Worst Series Enders

Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey from gingerreadslainey and is a weekly meme that covers a variety of topics.  If you want to join, please check out the Goodreads group.

This week's topic is Worst Series Enders, which is difficult for me.  I am pretty bad at finishing book series.  If I'm not enraptured by the first book or two, it takes a long time for me to pick up the next ones.  Additionally, I'm not good at reading a complete series back-to-back, so even if I loved it, I will often takes a few months break between books.

So, because I don't always finish series, and because those I do finish are often fantastic, I didn't have much to choose from.  I was only able to put together a few.  And if the topic didn't clue you in, there will be spoilers, so be warned.



Number Three


The Reckoning from The Heritage of Lancaster County Series
Beverly Lewis

I am not an avid reading of Amish fiction.  I know that there are a lot of people who love it, but a lot of them are romance stories, and I am not into that either.  From time to time, however, I like to try something different, and that's how I ended up reading this series.  

The first book was good, and I liked the intrigue and mystery.  The second book lost me, but there were just enough questions left unanswered that I picked up the third.  It was an easy read and very fast, but it was so unsatisfying.  It was directionless, and the main character was so inconsistent that everything I liked about her disappeared.  And the ending was completely forced and sudden, so I found no joy in it.  

Number Two


Mockingjay from The Hunger Games Trilogy
Suzanne Collins

Don't get me wrong.  I really liked this series and, for the most part, this book.  However, there were two things that tainted it for me.  The first is how Katniss completely loses hope and even attempts to commit suicide in the wake of Prim's death.  She was such a fighter, and while I understand being rocked to the core over losing her sister, I felt that losing her will to live was too far.  The other was how the love triangle resolved itself.  I never felt that she belonged with Peeta and hated that they ended up together simply because he was there.  I would have much prefered it if she had chosen to be alone instead. 

Number One


Breaking Dawn from The Twilight Series
Stephenie Meyer

I admit that I did read the entire Twilight Series.  While it was being released and all of the hype was going, I was curious as to what the big deal was, so I picked it up.  Even though I recognized it was really bad, it was easy to read and entertaining, so I finished it.  But Breaking Dawn had one of the most anti-climactic endings I've ever encountered.  I was so angry that I had wasted my time with that book.  Those are hours I can never get back.


Do you agree with my list?  What books made yours?  Tell me in the comments below.

As always, you can find me on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. Nice list. I had trouble with the list this week too. Twilight made mine too, but I have to admit, the whole series drove my a tad crazy. I guess I don't regret reading them, but am glad I will never have to read them again. I even gave all my copies away.

    ReplyDelete