Friday, April 3, 2015

March Haul & Wrap-Up

For most of you, April means the coming Spring and warm weather.  On Guam, it's always sunny, and the only weather fluctuation in weather is sunny and raining or not raining.  I still get Spring break from teaching, however, so I'm hoping to be able to get a good deal of reading in.  Before I start that, though, let's wrap up March.

I was able to read nine books this month - three novels and six comics.  I'm pleased with that.  And I scaled back my book buying, as well, only purchasing five physical books (and one on my Nook).

Let's get into what I bought and read this month!

The first book I finished this month was the classic Little Women.  I assigned it to my middle school student, but I hadn't read it in so long that I needed to reread it in order to discuss it with her.  And it was so much better as an adult!  I loved the girls' stories and personalities and was able to see each of them in an entirely new light now that I'm older.  My student is about half way through and loves it so much that she has requested to read the rest of the series, as well.  I gave it 5 stars, and I can't wait to share it with my daughter(s). 

#YearOfCosmere continued with Brandon Sanderson's The Well of Ascension, the second book in the Mistborn Trilogy, so I participated in this month's read-a-long, as well.  This was the epub I purchased.  I was completely blown away by this book.  I didn't expect it to be better than the second book, but it was.  I absolutely loved it, and I wrote a full review of it that you can check out.  This got 5 stars from me.

I was going through some pretty severe book hangover after finishing that, so I decided to read some comics, starting with Maus I: My Father Bleeds History, a graphic memoir by Art Spiegelman.  This chronicles his father's life during WWII living as a Jew in Poland.  It was really good, and I definitely recommend it.  There is a review up if you want to learn more about it.  I gave it 5 stars.

After waiting for several months, I decided to buy the first four volumes of The New 52 Batman series, written by Scott Snyder.  I have been wanting to read this series, but I was trying to save money because comics aren't cheap, and I wanted the hardcovers.  Then Barnes and Noble had an awesome sale on comics, so I bought them.  After finishing those, I ran to my local bookstore and bought the fifth one, as well.

I've reviewed the first volume, and I'm going to review the rest of them, but let me just tell  you that I am in love with this series.  I've always liked Batman, but what Snyder is doing with him and the other characters (especially the Joker!) is pure art.  And with Greg Capullo illustrating!  I will continue this series until it concludes.  I'm already going through Bat Family withdrawals.  My overall series rating is a solid 4.

The last book I read this month was Dear Mr. Knightley, by Katherine Reay.  You can see my full review, but I didn't care for this book at all.  It had potential, but the characters were lacking in fatal ways.  It only earned 2 stars from me.



Those are all the books I bought and read in March.  What was your favorite book last month?  

Also, follow me on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment