Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday:Favorite Jokester Characters

Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme where bloggers and Booktubers feature their top 5 choices for each week's topic.  If you want to join in, check out the Goodreads group.

This week's topic is favorite jokester characters, which is a great one.  A few immediately spring to mind, and one choice is bound to be on most people's lists.  

Let's get into it!


Number Five


Puck from A Midsummer's Night Dream

Puck (or Robin Goodfellow) is the playful sprite from Shakespeare's comic play.  His mistake is what serves to move the entire play along.  He is very tricky and loves to perform pranks while serving his master, Oberon.  All this, of course, is done in good fun.  

I always love Puck in productions of this play.  He's so fun and cheerful, and he makes the whole thing light.  

Number Four

I like to pretend that Johnny Depp's version never happened.
Willy Wonka from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I read all of Roald Dahl's children's books when I was growing up, and Willy Wonka was one of my favorite characters of his.  So childlike and silly, he often seems completely absurd, but it all works toward the fulfillment of his plan.  Genius?  Yes. 

Number Three


Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes were my introduction to comics.  I started reading them in elementary school and was captivated by Calvin's mischievous attitude.  From all of his make-believe play to the pranks he plays on Susie to the mishap he gets into around the house and at school, he is the picture of the class clown and jokester.

Number Two


Fred and George Weasley from The Harry Potter Series

These two will, no doubt, be on most everyone's list.  And they should be!  They added light and heart to the wizarding world as it became increasingly darker.  Never underestimate the gift of bringing laughter during the most dire times.  Plus, they caused so much trouble for my most-hated character of all time, Professor Umbridge, that they had to make this list!

Number One


The Joker from Batman

And now this list takes a darker turn.  Though not your lighthearted, laugh-inducing jester, Joker is undoubtedly a jokester.  His jokes just usually end in death and mayhem.  

I absolutely love the unsettling blend of playful mischief with psychotic crime.  Joker is one of the most memorable villains of all time because of this, and I am so so impressed by where Scott Snyder is currently taking the character.  Though I wouldn't want to be the butt of one of his jokes, he has to be number one on my list.


Those are my top 5 jokesters!  Who made your list?  Tell me in the comments below.

Also, follow me on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I had the Weasley's too and bet they end up on quite a few lists. I love the Joker in Batman as well, but afraid no one will ever play him as well as Heath Ledger did. His wit and banter are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that, if someone wants to do a Batman movie based off of the Alan Moore version of Joker, you're absolutely right. But Snyder's Joker is a little different, so if they did a movie based off of his Batman series, it could be done if cast extremely carefully.

      Delete