Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Books That Feature Traveling

If you want to join Top 5 Wednesday, check out the Goodreads group.
This week's T5W topic is books that feature traveling from any genre.

Of course, the books that immediately came to mind are those that I always talk about, especially On the Road.  So, in an effort to talk about new books, I'm leaving those aside.

So, let's look at my top 5.


Number Five


The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

This classic is a collection of short stories or vignettes about man traveling to Mars in order to colonize it.  I've never read another book like it, and Bradbury says some interesting things about colonization, mankind, and our treatment of nature.

Number Four


Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

I really enjoyed this book when I read it.  It appealed to the part of me that romanticizes living on the road with little money, winging life.  Christopher McCandless' (aka Alexander Supertramp) asceticism was a little extreme for me, but I still admired his shirking of materialism and societal expectation.

Number Three

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

This was one of my favorite series when I was a kid, and I still love it as an adult.  I've always wanted to travel to Narnia, and I find the adventures of the Pevensie children so magnificent. 

Number Two


Going Solo by Roald Dahl

This is Roald Dahl's memoir about his time as a WWII pilot and his travels in Africa.  Even now, Dahl is like a legend to me.  His life is just as unbelievable as his children's stories, and I love reading about it.

Number One


Red China Blues by Jan Wong

This is one of my favorite non-fiction books about China.  Jan Wong was born in Canada, but she was completely enthralled by China during the Cultural Revolution, so she enrolled at Beijing University in order to be in China during Mao's rule.  This documents her experience there, as well as gives insight into the country during that time.  It's a completely fascinating read.

These are my favorite books that feature traveling.  What are your favorites? Tell me in the comments below.

Chat me up on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!


2 comments:

  1. Great list. I want to read several of these. I also love Roald Dahl, I can't believe I've never heard of that book. I need to find it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Narnia! Excellent choice, why didn't I think of it?

    ReplyDelete