Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Best Character Arcs

This week's Top 5 Wednesday topic is the Best Character Arcs/Development.  If you want to participate in the Top 5 Wednesday meme, check out the Goodreads group.

Most of the time, character development is more important to me than the plot.  Even if the story is fast-paced and exciting, I can't fully enjoy it if the characters are one-dimensional.  I appreciate a complex, well-developed character.

Here are some of my favorites who also have excellent arcs.




Number Five


Nikhil Ganguli from The Namesake

I love all of the characters in this novel by Jhumpa Lahiri.  However, it is Nikhil's quest to accept his heritage that I find the most compelling.  I relate to his experience as an Indian-American who isn't quite Indian or quite American wholeheartedly.  From his rejection of his parents' lifestyle and roots to the anger he feels at always being singled out to finally accepting who he is, his growth is realistic and wonderful to experience.

Number Four


Neville Longbottom from The Harry Potter Series

I suspect that Neville will be on many lists, but it is deserving.  He starts out the series a timid lamb but ends it passionately and bravely, standing up to Lord Voldemort even in the face of Harry's death.  

Number Three


Vin from the Mistborn Trilogy

I am reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy for #YearofCosmere, and it is full of amazing characters.  So far I've only read The Final Empire, and it is Vin's development that stands out to me throughout it.  She starts out passive and untrusting but becomes so confident and comfortable.  I can't wait to see how she and the rest of the crew members continue to grow.

Number Two


Paul Atreides from Dune

I haven't read any of the rest of Frank Herbert's Dune Saga, so I'm only citing Paul in the first installment.  He is an amazing character.  Intelligent and adaptable, he becomes a true Fremen though he was born noble.  He also loses his naivete and innocence, growing politically shrewd and into a wise leader.

Number One


Father Rodrigues from Silence

This book by Shusaku Endo is one of my favorites, and it's due to the religious journey of Father Rodrigues.  A Jesuit missionary to Japan in the 1600s, he truly believes in the calling of the Catholic church to convert the world.  This is why it is so difficult for him to learn that his mentor has committed apostasy.  And he goes through this process of truly analyzing what he believes and is willing to die for.  

Those are five of my favorite character arcs.  What are your favorites?  Tell me in the comments below.

Also, find me on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. Great list. Boy, you must read a variety of books. I still can't decide whether to jump on the Mistborn bandwagon or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to read as widely as possible.

      I haven't read the rest of the trilogy yet, but the first book was fantastic. 4.5 stars from me. The characters are so well developed, and there are many unpredictable turns in the plot that kept me guessing until the very end.

      Delete
  2. This is a great list! I just got the Mistborn trilogy today so I'm hoping to read it soon! I can't believe I forgot about Neville! You are so right about him. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should join the #yearofcosmere readalong.

      Delete
  3. Love your list! Of all the books you name I have only read Dune and the Harry Potter series and I can only agree with which characters you picked there. In fact, why didn't I think of Paul?! I recently read Dune Messiah and although it wasn't as completely boom as Dune the character development in that one was strong as well. I can definitely recommend it if you are willing to continue the series :D
    And thank you for your comment on studyinink <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book friend of mine absolutely loves the Dune saga, and they are her favorite books. She's been encouraging me to continue on with the series for some time, so I will have to eventually.

      Delete